Make Your Own Healthy Pumpkin Spice Latte With This Recipe
If you keep craving the pumpkin spice latte that are on every coffee shop’s advertising board these days, but you really don’t want to be consuming that much sugar and artificial additives, then we suggest you keep reading!
Pumpkin is in season now and on the menu of every authentic restaurant that cooks seasonal food. But, we all know that when it comes to pumpkin coffee there is really no pumpkin in those sugary drinks you find at your favourite coffee shops.
This recipe contains wholesome and clean ingredients, with no artificial or refined sweeteners and with of course, the star ingredient, pumpkin!
So, to make your own healthy pumpkin spice latte you will need:
- 1 cup of vegetable milk (we recommend you use organic almond or coconut milk)
- 1 tbsp. pumpkin purée
- 1 tsp. natural vanilla extract (check this recipe to create your own)
- ½ tsp. of pumpkin pie spice (which you will get by creating a blend of ½ tsp. of cinnamon and a sprinkle of nutmeg and ginger)
- ¼ cup espresso (or any strong coffee equivalent)
- 1 tsp. honey or maple syrup – more to taste (make sure you are using real honey)
- Additional: whipped coconut cream or a spoonful of the cream at the top of a coconut milk can
- Blend all ingredients (except the additional)
- Pour the mixture in a medium saucepan and heat it by simmering for about 5 minutes. Keep stirring during the process.
- Add the coconut cream with a dash of cinnamon.
- Two shots of coffee can be added instead of one for the same ingredients to give that extra edge.
- If you are making it for more than one person, simply multiply the quantity by the final number of people and follow the same procedure.
- You can also serve a cold pumpkin spice latte, by allowing the coffee to cool and blending all the ingredients in a blender with ½ cup of ice.
- This recipe is vegan, gluten free and refined sugar free.
As a final note, and if you are thinking of reducing your caffeine intake, check our earlier blog post about 7 delicious alternatives for coffee that would give you the same buzz with no caffeine.