Introducing The Superpowers of Alkaline Water And Why You Should Be Drinking It
Water is definitely the most vital element that your body needs to survive. It has been proven repeatedly that a good hydration level is great for your health. What if I tell you that now a good thing such as water can be turned into an even greater thing?
Meet Alkaline Water!
There has been a lot of hype around alkaline water recently and so many people swear by it. But what is alkaline water?
Alkaline water is water with a pH ranging between 7 and 9.5 because it is high in alkalizing minerals compounds like magnesium, silica, bicarbonate, potassium and calcium. The modern diet, rich in processed foods and high in sugar and trans-fats has become highly acidic, which affects the acid/base balance in the body.
But why drink alkaline water?
1-Alkaline water can help people with a reflux disorder since this is mainly caused by acid in the gastrointestinal system.
2- It is also good for your bones, especially for people with a risk of osteoporosis. Alkaline water has been found to improve bone metabolism and resorption.
3- Finally and maybe most importantly, alkaline water has shown good results with people trying to control their blood sugar.
How to make your own alkaline water?
You don’t need to buy alkaline water, especially that you can make it at home using ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen.
Here is an easy and convenient recipe:
- Get a glass container to prepare your daily needs of alkaline water
- Fill it with distilled or filtered water leaving some space to allow mixing
- Add ½ a teaspoon of baking soda and mix well
- Test the pH of the water with a test strip (which you can find in big pharmacies). You want to have a pH level ranging between 8.5 and 9.0
- Keep adding baking soda until you reach this range
Alternatively and if you prefer, you can add slices of lemon or lemon juice to your filtered water to make it more alkaline instead of using baking soda. It is suggested you drink 2 to 3 cups of alkaline water daily.
Please keep in mind that:
- Alkaline water might not suit everyone
- It might not be in sync with all your organs such as the stomach (which has lower pH levels)
- Too much alkaline water can cause calcification of the kidneys. If you have any renal problems, please consult with your naturopath before.
Have you tried alkaline water before? Let us know in the comments!